This is a tipical Asian dish, which use sweet and sour sauce. But here i enhance it by using my homemade ketchup, couple of vegetables, pan fry meatballs and a secret ingredients!
Meatballs. I use a bought homemade fried meatballs that is free from MSG and preservatives. But you can use any protein you’d like from shrimp, chicken to fish, etc.
Vegetables. I use cauliflower, pumpkin, tomatoes and green onion.
Homemade Ketchup. Check on my recipe here.
Tropical punch. For the sourness, beside from ketchup, we are going to use Pineapple. Pineapple is really the secret ingredients in this dish. It’s elevate the tropical flavor that balance everything.
Aromatic herbs and Seasonings. We’re going to need 1 clove of garlic, salt and pepper, garlic powder and mushroom powder and sweet soy sauce.
Thickening. Since we’re making a sauce so we’l need something to thicken it. I’d like to use flour. So usually i just add like 1-2 tbs of flour to a half glass of water (50-100 ml) and stir it thoroughly. Slowly add in to the dish while stiring and stop when i meet the sauce texture that i expect. If i’m running out of the flour mixture, i’d simply add more.
- Because i’m using fried meatballs, i pan fry it first and set aside. If you’re using shrimp, chicken or fish, you don’t have to do anything to then first. We’ll just include them in the cooking process.
- Fot the vegetables (cauliflower and pumpkin), i’d like to steam or boil them first. Set aside.
- Saute some garlic until it smells good and get brown
- Add in the vegetables, pour in some water. (If you’re using raw protein, you can add them here)
- Add in the pineapple and let it cook a while in small heat so the water is actually will has the sourness of pineapple
- Then, add in ketchup, sweet soy sauce and seasonings, have a taste. It should be sweet and sour and good.
- Add 1-2 tbs of flour + water to thicken it to the sauce
- Lastly, add in the meatballs and green onion.