Shepherd’s pie, cottage pie or hachis parmentier is a ground meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato of english origin. The difference between shepherd or cottage is the meat used. Ee call it shepherd when we’re using ground lamb, and cotage when we use ground beef.
Cottage pie is perfect in any occasion but i’d say will be most perfect in cold season or for a gathering dish where everyone will surely enjoy it very much. When the soft and creamy buttery mashed potato meets the ground beef, they are like perfectly colided into your mouth. It has a rich flavor that could satisfied all of our taste buds.
Basically there are two dishes that we have to prep to make this cottage dish, which are the mashed potato and the beef filling.
First thing first, let’s make the mashed potato.
- Peel and cut your potatoes into chunks
- Boil them for 13-15 minutes until it’s soften (test it by pricking it with a fork)
- While the potatoes are almost ready, simmer your milk (you can use either dairy or non dairy milk) and about 3-5 tbs of butter (i use vegan butter, you can also use coconut oil / dairy butter if you’re okay with dairy)
- Drain all the potatoes and put it back to the pan
- Pour the milk and butter mix to the potatoes, pour it as it’s needed. Mashed it with hand potato masher or you can simply use a whisk to mashed it. (Hold back your milk butter – pour it little by little to not over pouring that your mashed potato will be too light)
- Add salt & pepper
- Set aside in the pan and cover it (to keep it warm)
Beef filling :
- Wash and cut all of the ingredients (onion, tomatoes, corn, carrots, cilantro / parsley, garlic)
- If you’re using beef meat, chop it to smaller pieces like what i did to my beef. But skip it if you already using ground beef
- I’d like to steam my corn until it’s medium soft first in a steamer. So i put them to steam while i prep the other ingredients
- You can also steam your carrots if you like it soft, i skip this part
- Put a little bit of olive oil, saute garlic and onion
- Add in carrots, corn, tomatoes, and cilantro
- Cook them for a while, then add in the ground beef
- Also add a beef stock and cook them with smaller heat until the stock absorb
- Add seasonings (tomato paste, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mushroom powder) you can also add chili flakes / chili sauce if you’d like it spicy
- Use a little bit of flour+water to thicken the sauce
- Put it in a oven safe plate
After putting the beef filling underneath, top it with mashed potato and flatten it with a spoon. Then, Make a texture with your spoon to make it pretty 🙂
Bake them in the oven in 150 C for 30-40 minutes (or until the potato turns a little bit golden brown and from a soft crust). Sprinkle some cilantor / parsley on top of the crust.
Ingredients recap :
- 4-5 medium size potatoes
- 1 – 1.5 cup milk (dairy on non dairy)
- 3-5 tbs vegan butter (or coconut oil / dsiry butter)
- Salt and pepper
- Ground beef / minced beef
- Beef stock
- Homemade tomato paste
- Chili (optional)
- Cilantro (or parsley or both)
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Mushroom powder